Our Webmail service provides some convenient ways to organize and find items in your account. Our Search feature is available to help you find messages, contacts, appointments, tasks, and files. This is accomplished using specific words, dates, time, URL, size, tag, whether or not a message has been read, whether it has file attachments and more. Two types of searches are available:
- A quick search that executes whatever query is currently displayed in the search text box (located at the top right). You can enter a key word in the search field and a list of items is automatically displayed. In addition, the drop-down arrow at the left of the search text box allows you to select which type of items to search for. You can select to search within messages and your contacts, including company contact lists, appointments and files.
- An advanced search makes it easy to execute more complex searches. This feature is accessed by clicking on the magnifying glass in the Search field. The advanced search pane will appear on the left. You can group your search results.
In addition, our convenient organizing features — Folders, Tags and Flags — enable you to quickly label, locate and retrieve messages. We've included step-by-step instructions below on tackling these organizing features. Please see Most Common Organizing Features listed directly to the right. Click on a feature description (e.g., Using Flags) and it will allow you to jump to specific instructions below. Then, click the browser back button to return to the top of the page.
Folders are used to organize your incoming and outgoing email messages. You can create your own folders, or use the system-defined folders. Folders you create to organize your email are displayed in the Folders list in the overview pane. Top-level folder names cannot be the same as any other top-level folder in your email, calendar, or address book folders. System folders cannot be moved, renamed, or deleted. The following are system folders:
- Inbox - New email arrives in the Inbox.
- Sent - A copy of each message you send is saved in the Sent folder.
- Drafts - Messages you have composed but have not sent are saved in the Drafts folder.
- Junk - Most filtering of unsolicited automated email (also known as spam or junk mail) is handled by a spam filter before those email messages reach your Inbox. Email that might possibly be junk mail, but isn't certain to be junk, can be placed in your Junk folder. You can review these messages and either move or delete them. If you don't delete them, they will be purged after a period of time, as specified by your administrator.
- Trash - Deleted items are placed in the Trash folder and remain there until you manually empty the trash or until the folder is purged automatically.
How to Create a Folder
- Go to the Mail > Mail Folders and click the Folders icon (or simply right-click).
- Select New Folder.
- Enter the new folder Name and select a folder Color. Folder names can include any character except a colon (:), forward slash (/), and quotation mark (").
- In the Mail Folders tree, select the placement of the new folder.
- Click Folders to have the new folder displayed at the top of the list.
- Click an existing folder to place your new folder within that folder.
- Click OK.
Please note: You can rename and delete user-defined folders. System-defined folders cannot be renamed or deleted.
You can use word tags to help classify and organize your email messages, conversations, calendar items, contacts, briefcase, or tasks. For example, you can type a tag for Immediate Turnaround and another for Medium Priority. You can type a particular tag for tasks or add project tags to sort email, and you can search for all items with a specific tag. You can also apply multiple tags to an item.
How to Create a Tag:
- In the far-left overview pane, click the Tags icon (or simply right-click) and select New Tag.
- Type the new Tag name and select a Color for the tag. Tag names can include any character except a colon (:), forward slash (/), and quotation mark (").
- Click OK. The new tag is listed under Tags.
How to Display Messages with a Specific Tag:
- To find tagged messages quickly, click a tag in the Tag section of the overview pane (located on the far-left).
- All messages with the selected tag are displayed in the content pane.
How to Search for Items by Tag:
- To search for a specific tag choose the menu for the type of tag you are searching for (Mail, Contact, Calendar, etc), type the following into the Search field (tag: tagname) and click the magnifying glass.
- This will display all tags with this name. If the tag name is two words, you must use quotes around the name (tag: "tag name").
Please note: After you create a tag, you can apply it to an item. You can assign more than one tag to an item to classify it under different categories. If an item has multiple tags, the tag icon is multicolored. Only tags that are not already applied to the item are listed. In addition, you can also remove a tag from an item (), delete a tag, rename a tag, and change the color of a tag.
The flag icon in the message list is a yes/no indicator that denotes whether the email message has been flagged. This can be used to indicate an action needed item or to distinguish the message or conversation from other items of lesser importance.
How to Flag a Message or Conversation:
- Place your cursor over the message or conversation, right-click and select Flag.
- You can also right-click to "unflag" the item. The flag is disabled and the flag color turns to a greyscale color.