Email Transition — Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Troy Cable changing its email service?
Google has decided to discontinue the edition of their Gmail product that was made available to ISPs like Troy Cable. This means that Troy Cable must transition its email users from the Gmail platform to another webmail platform. It also means that server settings for common email software (like Outlook and Mac Mail) and mobile devices will be impacted in the process.
What is the timeline for this transition?
Troy Cable must move all email accounts on troycable.net to another platform by May 20, 2015 .
How will this impact me?
That depends on how you use Troy Cable's email service. Please note the following:
- Your webmail service (currently Gmail, which is accessed via the internet) will be on a new platform in the coming weeks.
- Troy Cable email accounts — accessed via common email software resident on computers must be updated prior to or they will no longer be able to connect to your email account.
- Troy Cable email accounts — accessed on mobile devices — will no longer work beginning the unless specific updates are made to server settings.
What are my new server settings?
- Incoming Server Name: mail.troycable.net
- Outgoing Server Name: smtp.troycable.net
- Username: Your full firstname.lastname@example.org email address
What must I do to prepare for this email transition?
Reflect on how you use your @troycable.net email address. Do you use a common email software like Outlook or Mac Mail? Do you access your email from a mobile device? Have you been using Google services beyond Gmail with your @troycable.net account?
If you answered 'Yes' to any of the above questions, please follow the below links to step-by-step instructions designed to help you make any needed changes before the cutover.
- How to make server settings updates to common email software using text instructions:
Outlook 2007 | Outlook 2010 | Mac Mail | Thunderbird | Windows Live Mail | Windows 8 Mail App
- How to make server settings updates to common email software using video instructions:
Outlook 2007 | Outlook 2010 | Mac Mail
- How to make server settings updates to mobile devices: Android | Apple
- How to use the Google services utility program to save your Google data (other than Gmail), in order to archive it, and not lose it, at the time of cutover: Google Takeout
What if I have questions or get stuck?
Call our Help Desk at 1-334-770-HELP(4357) if you have questions at any point in this process for assistance.